COD-CRESCENDO OF DOOM
- TITLE: Crescendo of Doom
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: The Game of Tactical Warfare on the Western Front,
1939-1941. Second expansion gamette for Squad Leader.
- TAHGC CATALOG DESCRIPTION: 2nd extension of Squad Leader,
involving tactical warfare on the western front 1939-1941.
- GAME BOX DESCRIPTION: Complete armor, ordnance, and infantry
units are provided for Poland, Belgium, Finland, and a host of other minor
neutrals including Elite, Line, and Reservist formation for all nationalities.
In graphic details far superior to any narrative account, you will see for
yourself how the outnumbered German panzers defeated the superior armor of
the French Tanks. Experience personally the French frustrations bough bon
my radioless AFVs and one man turrets. There ar no Panthers or T34s.. .here
it is the Mk III vs the Char B, Somua, or Matilda.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): March 1980. SQLA has an unofficial
2nd edition which includes the published 2nd edition errata and other additions.
- Design & Development: Donald Greenwood
- Scenario Design: John Hill, Rex Martin, Jo Mishcon,
Arnold Blumberg, Don Greenwood
- Special Armor Consultant: Robert McNamara, Arnold Hendrick
- Production Assistant & MVP: Jon Mishcon and J.
Suchar, M. Suchar, and J. Kenower
- Cover & Scenario Art: Rodger MacGowan
- Board & Counter Art: Scott Moores, Dale Sheaffer,
- Playtesting: : Rex Martin, Robert McNamara, Bo Medrow
(w/D. Quigley), Courtney Allen (w/M Anderson, & S. Spoulos), Jim Sthbler,
Bruce Degi, Bryan Van Nortwick, Michael Musser, Kevin Duke (w/J McDonnell),
Paul Youkey, James Baker, Robert Kisielewicz, Richard Hooks, Steven List,
Robert Corbett, Lorrin Bird, D. Munsell, L. Williams, A Mandell, P. O’Neil,
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Composition: Colonial Composition
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 5
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): From 2 hours for a short
scenario; 6+ large scenarios.
- MAP SCALE: 40 meters per hex
- UNIT SCALE: Individual squads, leaders, support weapons
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Two minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Function of scenario played; typically
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 520 two-sided 1/2" diecut counters,
804 two-sided 5/8 diecut counters, two 22x28" mounted mapboards, 36-page
illustrated rulebook and designer's notes, 12 scenario cards (#21-32), 2 Quick
Reference data Cards.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: No Crescendo of Doom specific
tournament has appeared in Avaloncon/WBC but rather contained within the Squad
Leader Tournament since 2000. Tournaments allow players to compete at any
of the four PREASL rulesets at the lower ruleset compatibility of the pairing
(SQL, COI, COD, GIA). Side competitions for the Best Personal Leader Competition
and Eliminating the previous years PLC winner occur in parallel to tournament
championships. SQLA encourages competitive play but also welcomes and mentors
new and 'rusty' players who wish to participate. SQL has run 25+ FTF and PBEM
to date and is the administrator for both Boardgame Player Association PBEM
events and SQL AREA Player Ratings.
- PBEM TOOLS: VSQL VASSAL
module is available and has become the standard for PBEM and real time Internet
play. A COD_GIA expansion exists which adds the customized counter set for
- PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgame Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest.
- WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: Not my favorite SQL gamette due
to weak early war vehicles, few toys and bland infantry (British, French).
Many little used chrome rules (Royal family), scenarios specific (bridges,
bicycles, boats, motorcycles) constitute the majority of the rulebook, Many
if the COD introduced rules were taken out in ASL (Scouting). Major significant
addition is new artillery system, men under fire and Finns.
- WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: Multiple play copies, unpunched
games, softcopy rulebook, charts, maps, Order of Battles, all rulebook editions,
and extensive related magazine archives. Counter library, maps, and charts
in Claris Draw; maps and counters in GIF format.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page