THE CIVIL WAR Version History
Version 1.7 (Jim Eliason, Doug Powell, Bill Thomson) 190405
- Added 190330 Variant Leader Promotion & Loss table, skewed for fewer
KIA and more wounds, with Non Combat Termination for susceptible leaders
- Created alternate historical variant McClellan counter, 4 initiative, 2
- Modified font in historical variant JJohnston leader counter so the 1D re-roll
no longer looks like 1C.
- Added Terrain Key Chart
- Optimized Far West Counters
- Replaced/fixed the Stockade Alert/Stockade Destroyed marker (was called
- Missing Apache Tribal Indian counter added.
- Generic Civilized Indian replaced with Civilized Indian 1, 2, and 3
- Generic Comanche Tribal Indian replaced with Kiowa 1 and 2 to match
game counter set.
- Generic Kiowa Tribal Indian replaced with Kiowa 1 and 2 to match counter
- Let Trash window in place (Trash can button) for those updating new counters
of games in progress in process.
- Duplicate CP and SP markers of old start files moved to trash.
- Updated the AREA ratings help file.
- Updated the Articles help file.
- Updated the Rulebook help file.
- PENDING: Add counters for the optional CSA naval leaders.
- PENDING, updated all scenario files and added Far West scenario and campaign
game start files.
Version 1.6 (Dave Turansky, Bill Thomson) 091215
- Added missing Label trait to all units
- Added Out of Supply (OOS) overlay graphic to all appropriate units using
CNTL+O trait. All scenarios updated for this trait.
- Updated Resources chart; T2 CSA chart; Leaders changed from 6 to 3.
- Updated Variant LP&C table; DR=7 on one star LP&C changed from 'Promote
if 1861' to 'Promote if Win*; with note 'Leader is promoted if his force is
not required to retreat OR suffers fewer losses'.
- Updated Variant LP&C table; Added note 'Naval Leaders are not subject
to Promotion OR Capture (ignore capture results)'.
- Updated Variant LP&C table; Deleted '-1 DRM if force is eliminated'.
- Updated Variant LP&C table; 3*** commander of a LARGE army to 3*** and
4**** commander of a LARGE army.
- Leaders chart corrected spelling corrected: Sedgwick, Cleburne, Kearny.
Game counter spelling updated for Sedgwick, Kearny; Expanded coutnter spelling
as space allows for Sedgwick, Keary, Cleburne, McPherson, McClerdn;
- Added crude variant player configurable CSA Naval leader; optimize in future.
- PENDING: Added graphics to Terrain Chart.
- PENDING: 1864 Scenario file still to be corrected an proofed. Far West scenario
still not defined.
Version 1.5b04 (Dave Turansky, Bill Thomson) 080701
- Corrected Resources chart; 3 USA OIC arrive turn 9 not 8.
- Movement Trails now appear only when trait is selected; counters not yet
refreshed so not yet applied to scenarios and games in progress (refresh is
missing from configuration).
Version 1.5b03 (Dave Turansky, Bill Thomson) 080617
- Corrected seniority numbers on several USA * leaders.
- 1863 Standard scenario scrubbed for errors and updated.
- 1864 Standard scenarios to be proofed.
Version 1.5b02 (Dave Turansky, Bill Thomson) 080501
- 1862 Standard scenario scrubbed for errors and updated.
- Reset trait added to all USA/CSA track markers. All scenario files updated
with new track markers.
- 1863 Standard and 1864 Standard scenarios added; to be proofed.
- Spelling changed on counter from JJohnson to JJohnston (both standard and
- Text label trait added to all units missing this trait, but all counters
deployed in scenarios do not have this capability; all would have to be replaced.
Players can do this add the need for labeling occurs in game play.
- Added Far West Scenario template.
- Added standard VASSAL splash screen.
Version 1.5b01 (Bill Thomson) 080408
- Maps updated to correct errors:
- Flint river in GA is navigable to 3426/3527. Extend navigable portion
by one hexside.
- Pearl River LA/MS border is not navigable.
- The Sabine river stops being a navigable (dark blue) at0927/1027 hexside.
- The Pascagoula River, 2229, is a non-navigable.
- Variant USA McClellan counter changed from 4(2)-10 to 3*-1 0.
- Added Standard Game scenario files for 1862 and 1863.
Version 1.4b17 (Bill Thomson) 071208
- RECOMMENDED USE OF VASSAL 2.99 TO ENABLE WGA custom code PENDING: Create
java code to add in tally buttons for CSA controlled Ports and CSA VP cities;
my custom java code resource is on sabbatical.
- PENDING: add zoom to the Theater Track.
- Sherman *** typo fixes
- Attack Markers 1-5 added; allow displacing the units in the battle to side
area with marker showing battle location.
- USA Logan** counter modified so correctly shows maximum rank as **.
Version 1.4b16 (Bill Thomson) 071004
- PENDING: Create java code to add in tally buttons for CSA controlled Ports
and CSA VP cities; my custom java code resource is on sabbatical.
- PENDING: add zoom to the Theater Track.
- Renamed USA West CP3 layer as was reporting ad CP 4.
- Modified Theater Track display so a spot exists for: 1) placing a Initiative
Marker to indicate who won the DD in current pulse, 2) a spot exists to place
CSA NSP not yet entered.
- Replaced the Ports Open marker so it cycles from 0 to 49 (maximum number
of ports with Far West Map is 49).
- Updated the Campaign Game file accordingly.
- Modified the Variant LP&C table to remove the temporary +1 tactical
rating; considered limited value with unnecessary complexity. Modified LP&C
codes to remove the temporary -1 tactical rating after severely wounded for
- Modified wording on Variant LP&C from "May remove if loss or Non-Combat
Termination" to "Non-combat Termination else may remove if lost"
for clarification purposes
- Modified Variant LP&C * leader DR=7 from "Promote if won"
to "Promote if 1861" to match standard game.
Version 1.4b15 (Bill Thomson) 070927
- Renamed USA West CP 3 as layer was reporting as CP 4.
Version 1.4b14 (Brent Easton/Bill Thomson) 070925
- Corrected/Replaced USA Trans SP counter to report at such (was reporting
as USA Trans CP)
- Corrected at start USA 1 SP to USA 2 SP in Springfield, IL per 1861 start.
- Created a new 1861 Standard game scenario start file to reflect this change.
- Added a invisible grid to Theater Track Display counters align to grid.
- Added missing chart for Combat ratio Differential Codes.
Version 1.4b13 (Brent Easton/Bill Thomson) 070810
- Added customized Port and City control markers for those in CSA control.
- Log now reports leaders moving to the respective pools.
- USA Disc SP changes corrected to be reported as SP (was reported as CP).
Version 1.4b12 (Jeff Wise/Bill Thomson) 070619
- Both Standard and Full maps updated with changes:
- Markers placed to denote no Ocean NSPs allowed on Mississippi River
above Memphis, nor on any tributary.
- Removed Mountain gap between 5004 & 5005 which existed in error
on the previous Vassal map.
- Corrected several identified leader seniorities
- USA Curtis** now 3, was 7.
- USA Grant** now 5, was 7.
- USA Hooker** now 8, was 7.
- USA Howard** now 19, was 7.
- USA Logan** now 17, was 7
- USA Lyon** now 2, was 17; error on chart also corrected.
- USA McPherson** now 13, was 7.
- USA Meade** now 9, was 7.
- USA Ord** now 11, was 7.
- USA Pope ** now 1, was 7.
- USA Sherman** now 6, was 7.
- USA Thomas** now 10, was 7.
- 1861 Standard Scenario file updated with the corrected leaders on map or
Version 1.4b11 (Dave Turansky/Jeff Wise/Bill Thomson) 070608
- PENDING: add in tally buttons for CSA controlled Ports and CSA VP cities.
- PENDING: add zoom to the Theater Track.
- Corrected turn 10 entry of USA OIC on resources
- Corrected errors in Command Point Cost Chart
- Added Cavalry Specific SP; 1-3
- Titles Infantry Specific SP, 1-10; matching capability previously added
- Commands to increase/decrease USA transports now Cntl-A; Cntrl-S to match
other units; Hot Keys help file updated
Version 1.4b10 (Bill Thomson) 070531
- All CSA leader seniority corrected.
- All CSA leader seniority changed to white text for greater contrast.
- CSA & USA standard leaders graphical tables replaced with HTML tables.
- Naval Combat table corrected (last two columns are Manned).
- All remaining graphical tables replaced with HTML tables.
- CSA & USA Standard + Historical Variant leader tables consolidated for
ease of use.
Version 1.4b09 (Bill Thomson) 070519
- Player configurable leaders of all types added under Variant/Player Configurable
- Most graphical tables replaced with HTML tables.
- CRT Table proofed for errors by David Turansky, corrected and replaced.
Version 1.4b08 (Bill Thomson) 070516
- Updated Standard Game 1861 start file.
- Added Sequence of Play chart.
- USA AoT and CSA AoT shared same yellow counters.
- Replaced CRT due to error found. (Table G, DEF, DR=4 L was D2, should be
- Added Army counters level accessed by cntl-M to mask the SP level for optional
rule at players request.
- Modified Table Use marker to indicate 'Tie numbers' which dictates end of
- USA *** General Seniority corrected, most were previously "5";
added Movement Trail hotkey.
Version 1.4b07 (Bill Thomson) 070515
- CSA State Militia Secondary Map and counters added
- Help File added to explain Public, Private, and Delayed notes.
- Theater Priority counters given a flip to a blank side to conceal at players
options as an alternate to the Delayed notes mechanism.
- Terrain charts configured so both terrain chart and codes are properly displayed.
- The Missing Leader labels were added as black text on white background;
changed white text on black background.
- Corrected Usa West SP that was captured by log as Usa West CP.
- Help file amended to explaining Stack usage via arrow keys.
- Change SP counter so indexes to 10, instead of 6.
- Corrected spelling of Farragut to Farragut
- Added missing Control L label trait for Leaders. USA: Thomas*, Meade*, Grant****,
Sherman****, Hooker*, Couch*, Kerney*
- Corrected Seniority on CSA *** counters.
- Corrected Menu names for Buckner* and CSA Crittenden**
- Player configurable leaders added for each type. Maximum Advancements is
equal to current stars. Use the following controls: CNTL-N (Name); CNTL-S
(Seniority); CNTL-I (Initiative); CNTL-A (Army Rating); CNTL-R (Tactical Rating)
Version 1.4b06 (Bill Thomson) 070508
- Updated Leaders in 1861start file file for new leader traits.
- Added a Flip trait (Control-F) to all leaders so at players option, the
identity is concealed, but not restricted.
- Updated Alternate Leader LP&C and PC&C Codes charts; also in HTML
format for improved resolution.
- Updated Variant Leader counters seniority.
- Variant Additional Leader counters created.
- Variant USA Additional leader chart now displayed (had displayed USA Historical
- Rotation keys for Ocean Transports and River Transports changed to be consistent
with other naval units.
Version 1.4b05 (Jeff Wise) 070507
- Leader Text alignment improved
Version 1.4b04 (Brent Easton) 070506
- Mouse over displays hex id on empty hexes.
- Mouse over displays non-stacking pieces.
Version 1.4b03 (Bill Thomson) 070504
- Mouse over view time increased from 500ms to 1000ms, Hex Id is now displayed
with the stack.
- Updated Hot Keys and CVW at WBC help files
- Standardized all (SP counters, Markers) increase on Control-A; decrease
- Updated 1861 standard start file so counters on map possess the new traits.
- Report action put on Naval Units.
- Modified Report Action trait so both old and new value are shown in the
log for appropriate counters.
- Added/Verified Movement Trail for all Leaders, Armies, and SPs
- Resource table updated to include blockade percentage.
- Replaced Variant Historical and Alternate leaders with updated versions
- All key graphics replaced for improved 3 dimensional look
- Colors changed on ships and forts etc for greater contrast to improve readability.
- Die Diff layers renamed Die Diff
- Stay Leader Mask and Restricted Access deleted.
- Variant Historical Leaders Added. Denoted by yellow background of name.Both
maps replaced to regain distinction between Navigate and Un-Navagable rivers.
- Per Variant, Leaders subject to removed for non-combat reasons denoted by
Name in Bold Italics
- Report action trait added to CSA and USA SP markers so changes are captured
- 1861 start file regenerated due to change in SP counters.
Version 1.3b13 (Bill Thomson) 070428
- Added Blockade Marker on the Theater Track; Updated Start File
- Added KGBast Variant Additional Leaders and Noted
- Updated Articles; PBEM Convention Help, and Map Errors Help files have been
- 1861 Standard Scenario updated.
- All Do Not Stack markers modified with a left/right offset so visible under
- Restricted access and masking removed from leaders, choice of sides removed
- Leader menus reorganized by alphabetical order rather than seniority
- About CVW screen added
- Track Markers moved to a hidden display; Removed Clone and Delete capability
of these markers
- General Markers moved to a Marker menu. Changed text color to White for
- Added Far West CP markers.
- Corrected map implemented (Standard and Full with Far West dated 070416);
correcting all spelling, misc. errors and errors as printed per designer errata.
- Added Theater secondary map and CP boxes with indexed CP counters eliminating
- Modified Army counters which index in SP value to maximum; eliminating for
Army SP track
- Added Movement Trail trait to armies
- Implemented new map with all but spelling corrections
- New General Tracks display created with background VASSAL grid to center
counters and log value changes (CSA VP, USA VP, CSA Imports, CSA Production,
US Sunk Ships).
- Corrected Combat CRT now in place
- Optional Leader Chart now contains KGBast further development of Variant
Leaders (J. Disclous system derived from French VOLUNTEER Magazine);
- Depot, Flag, Fort and Fortress, now no longer stack or get selected with
other units in the hex.; These markers may only by selected by holding done
the Shift Key when selection.
- Help file added on Known Map Errors which will not be corrected until version
2.0 unless existing game compatibility is proven.
- Replaced Combat Results table to correct errors (identified by Kirk Bast)
- Fixed reverse star of McClernand ** counter to standard size
- All CSA General Marker text changed form black text on gray to white text
on gray for greater legibility.
- Corrected USA McLennan** from 4-2 to 4-1
- Deleted Resource Map as replaced by next item
- Added a Theatre window with value boxes for all CPs, SPs, RR, etc formally
possessing separate tracks on the game Resource Map.
- Added a Resources Table
- Replaced the Counter Button
- Deleted text in Notes, and Die buttons which have graphics
- Expanded die button choices to include 1d6, 2d6, 1d10, 2d10, 1d20
- updated notes window and button; the former possess delayed notes capabilities.
- updated charts button
- Replace die buttons with Mersene Twister code buttons. Additional enhancements
to be identified via current game play with Baron August. Added 'About Mersene
Twister' help file for background.
Version 1.1 (Bill Thomson)
- Added as HELP files, this Version History, Game Credits, PBEM Rule Conventions,
Optional Rules, Avaloncon/WBC History, Hot Keys, Article listing, AREA Player
Ratings and Marker Start positions per scenarios
- Added and extensive CVW-Getting Started help file.
- Added a Notes window, contains both Public, Private, and Delayed capability.
- Added a 1d4 dice button to assist in random leader entry and optional wounded
- Added a 1d10 dice button to assist in random leader entry.
- Added a 1d20 dice button to assist in random leader entry.
- Replaced Track 111kb with TrackA 89kb which has RR & Sea lift tracks.
- Added labeling capability for all leaders; used for rating changed per
- Changed USA Leader negative ratings from black on red to white on read
for greater visibility, standardized alignment and font size to 12.
- Changed CSA Leader name from black on red to white on read for greater
visibility, standardized alignment and font size to 12.
- Added unit logging for movement, creation, editing; all requirements for
a useful log file.
- Into track file renamed Resources.
- Both the Track and Resource windows can now be closed without closing the
- Player side function deleted as was causing problems when starting new
game from scenario files (could not play either side). As use of this function
is not understood, it was deleted.
- Map filenames changed from MapAF and MapBF to MapStandard and MapFarWest.
- Added Table for Optional Leader Promotion & Casualty Table.
- Added Table for Optional Leader Promotion & Casualty Table Explanations.
- Scenario Start file for 1861 Standard Map created and placed in Scenarios
- Leader Charts added listing CSA and USA standard Game Leader Ratings.
- Command Point table 65kb replaced with TableCommandPoints 15kb for improved
- Leader Loss table 57kb replaced with TableLeaderLoss 14kb for improved
- Naval Combat Results table 112kb replaced with TableNavalCombat 14kb for
- Combat Ratio Differential Determination Chart 335KB was replaced with ChartCombatRatioDiff
61kb for improved look.
- Confederate Supply Loss Schedule 94kb was replaced with CsaSupplyLossSched
17kb for improved look.
- Indian Raid Table 225kb was replaced with TableIndianRaid 14kb for improved
- Indian Massacre Table 133kb was replaced with TableIndianMass 14kb for
- Blockade Table 111kb was replaced with TableBlockade 22kb for improved
- Combat Results Table 486kb was replaced with TableCombatResults 37kb and
TableCombatResultsLegend 14kb for improved look.
- Terrain Effect Chart 208kb was replaced with TableTerrianEffects 18 kb
and TableTerrianEffectsLegend 26kb for improved look.
- Command Point Cost Chart 119kb was replaced with TableCommandPointCosts
40kb for improved look.
- Added Hotkeys capability for open tracks (F1); open resources (F2); open
counters (F3); open charts (F4); 1d4 (F5); 1d6 (F6); 2d6 (F7); 1d10 (F8);
- The Map was drawn by Pedro J. Ferrandis Ferrandis <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Pedro stated via 11/03/04 email: I am from Spain as you can imagine, played
the game some years ago, after creating a module for the Vietnam game I tested
the American CW (also by VG), and disliked the way the map was drawed, so
thinked in redrawing it. About the far west option as you can see I drawed
the map also from scratch, the mod ask you what side you want to join, then
he ask you to set up the maps. I had the doubt of drawing one single map but
at the end I decided to draw to maps, because the game is able to be played
with out the far west map When playing the this option just select the left
map to be the far west and the right map to be east coast map.
Version 1.0/0.5 (Bill Sayers; Map by Pedro J. Ferrandis)
- The 0.0 version used sections of the map in 14 sections totaling 6.7 MB.
These have been replaced with two map files MapaAF (Standard Map) and MapaFG
(Far West extention) totaling 762 KB.
- Several large blank counters of various types have been added.
- All the Indian/Texas Ranger and a number of other marker counters have
Version 0.0 (Bill Sayers; Map signed ‘Pecete’ aka Pedro J. Ferrandis)
- Initial version created. Largely functional. Both the standard map and
far west maps are in the image file archived. No scenario start files included.
A massive amount of work is represented in the Image archive. Attempts to
establish contact ith Bill Sayers have been unsuccessful.
Please send all additional comments, modification/error correction to