SON -STRUGGLE OF NATIONS
- TITLE: Struggle of Nations
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: The War of German Liberation - Napoleon's
spring an autumn campaigns in saxony 1813
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE:
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: The rules emphasize command and administrative
considerations, and their dragging effect on maneuver. Battles are mere punctuation
marks at the conclusion of long marches.The map's hexes are smaller than on
any other game map. This allows us to portray a very large area on a map 25%
its normal size, easily accommodated by ordinary table space. Counters represent
forces made up on organization displays occupy two hexes on map, their two-hex
size reduces the possibility of mistaking their actual location, because only
one leader in a stack remains on the map, units density on the map average
less than 20 units per side.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1981. Only one published edition.
- Game Research, Design, Development & Graphics: Kevin
- Box Cover Design: Rodger MacGowan
- Research Assistance: John E. Koontz, John Wladis
- Design Assistance: Tom Walczyk, Mark Herman, Dave Collins,
- Playtesters: Bob Coggins, Steve McHenry (Staff); Stuart
Hendrickson, John Parmenter, David W.Olie, Jim Stathes, John Perras, Frank
J. Leddy, Andrew H. Blauvelt, Dennis Castillo, Robert Thorne, Michael,
Jeck, Thomas K. Sundell.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 6
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE: 2 miles
- UNIT SCALE: 1000 men
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 2 days
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: 60 turn campaign game and three scenarios.
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: Two four color counter sheets; 22"
x 24" mounted mapboard; two organizational displays, scenario folder,
rules folder, chart folder, turn record and reinforcement tracks.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Never made it as an Avaloncon
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: I have not played this title
so cannot make an assessment. Given its short life in TAHGC catalogues (still
looking for one that has it), I can assume the high complexity, extensive
rules targeted this game for game grognards and has a short lifespan dispite
distinquished names on the credits.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: None to date.
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page