TLD-THE LONGEST DAY
- TITLE: The Longest Day
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) The Battle of Normandy, June-August
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: The ultimate game of D-Day invation
of Hitler's Festung Europa - day-by-day, yard-by-yard, June 4, 1944
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): September 1980. WGA created
an unofficial rulebook revision which includes errata, alternate scenario
victory conditions and other optional rules.
- Historical Research and Game Design: Randall C. Reed
- Additional Reseach Assistance: Andrew Smith, Daniel
Ralston, John Stauffer
- Cover Art: Rodger MacGowen
- Mapboard Art: Randall C. Reed
- Component Design: Randall C. Reed
- Layout, Line Art and Paste-up: D. A. Shaeffer
- Game Development and Production Coordination: B. C.
- Manuscript Editor: B. C. Milligan
- Playtesting: Dan Evans, Rick Archer, Arvin van Zante,
Jim Burnette, Jr., Simon Ellberger, Dave Fram, Marc Nicholson, Arnold
Blumberg, Ron Whaley, D. A. Shaeffer, Robert Coggins, and members of Interest
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 6
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): 3-12 hours for scenarios,
30+ for campaign.
- MAP SCALE: 2 kilometers per hex.
- UNIT SCALE: Regimental
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 1 day
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Several small ones (about 3-5 hours);
large Cobra Scenario (allow 12 hours) and a campaign game (plan on about 30-50
hours). Playing the campaign is a social event over several gaming sessions.
Personality conflicts should be considered before embarking to increase chances
for a completed game.
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: Seven mounted mapboards (six 14 by 22 inches,
one 8x 22 inches) ca, 1600 counters. Allied and German reinforcement and unit
entry tracks. Various charts for air, naval, remnants etc. Approximate NINE
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Never played as a tournament
game due to size. Was used as a one week demonstration game in one Avaloncon.
- PBEM TOOLS:
- Java application VASSAL funtional
module for The Longest Day is on the Vassal Module page. It remains on
my to do list to upgrade before I begin play
- PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest using Vassal.
- WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: TLD is Avalon Hill's WWII Monster
game reminiscent of the old SPI monsters. Best suited for team play; Four
is a good number (two per side) providing a wealth of units to ontrol for
each player but further subdivison is easily accomodated to employ a entire
club.. One of my favorites ( I bought three mint shrink wrapped games when
it was rumored to go out of print) but have only had the chance to play about
4 campaign games over the years. Allied success is not assured, about 50%
based on weather and player ability/decisions. True to the actual campaign,
combat is attritional in nature. Supply limits continuous action. Allied Tactical
and Strategic air must allocated in a variety of roles dictated by the overall
plan selected. Uses Germans rather than NATO counter symbols which although
initially a learning process provides much more information once familiarized.
A large nuber of counters to be sorted by division. A few missing counters
(ie.e 82nd Airborne artillery units) was included in a GENERAL issue volume
28 #6. about six maboard are used for the campaign which requries a large
non-rectangular area not assumed to be accomodated by the sypical dining room
- SYSTEM: Alternating player turns; play sequence: movement,
enemy reaction movement, enemy defensive fire, combat; special rules for artillery,
naval and air support, supply, weather.
- WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: One partial play copy (most
counters missing), one unpunched copy. Maps as color scans. Color scan of
all unpunched counter sheets. Scans and actual counter from General volume
28 Number 6 missing from the game (82nd airborne artillery). Revised rulebook
with integrated errata and optional alternate victory conditions.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page