TLS -TWILIGHT STRUGGLE
- TITLE: Twilight Struggle
- PUBLISHER: GMT
- SCOPE: Cold War; 1945-1989
- CATALOG VERBAGE:
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: In 1945, unlikely allies toppled
Hitler's war matching, while humanity's most devastating weapons forced the
Japanese Empire to this knees in a storm of fire. Where once stood many great
powers, ether now stood only two - the United States and the Soviet Union.
The world had scant months to collectively sigh in relief before a new conflict
threatened. Unlike the titanic struggle of the preceding decades, this conflict
would not be wages primarily by soldiers and tanks, but by spies and politicians,
scientists, and intellectuals, artists, and traitors. Twilight Struggle is
a two player game simulating the 45 year dance of intrigue, prestige, and
occasional flares of warfare between the USSR and USA. The entire world is
the stage on which these two titans fight. The game begins amidst the ruins
of Europe ands the two new super-powers scramble over the wreckage of WWII,
and ends in 1989, when only the United States remained standing.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 2005 First Edition; Published
2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
- DESIGNER: Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews
- ART DIRECTOR: Rodger B. MacGowan
- MAP ART: Mark Simonitch
- COUNTER ART: Mark Simonitch
- CARD ART: Mark Simonitch
- PRODUCERS: Gene Billingsley & Tony Curtis &
Andy Lewis & Rodger B. MacGowan & Mark Simonitch
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: Two
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 5
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE: Entire globe, point to point system
- UNIT SCALE: Influence and event markers.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Approximately 3-5 years per turn
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: 10; each with one headline round
and 7-9 action rounds; all card driven.
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click
- GAME INVENTORY: 228 full color counters; One Deluxe 22"x34"
full-color hardstock map; 110 Event Cards; Two six-sided dice; 24-page Rule
book [Living rulebook as a free download from GMT site above; 2 full color
Player Aid cards
- WBC HISTORY: Played at both World Boardgame Championships
- PBEM TOOLS: A VASSAL
module exists on the Vassal Modules pages. It may be used independently on
in conjuntion with the ACTS/Warhorse
Twlight Struggle template for game logging and card tracking.
- PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest.
- WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS:
- WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS:
- Charles S. Roberts Award for Best Modern Era Boardgame 2005
- The International Gamers Award for General Strategy, Two Player 2006\
- The International Gamers Award for Historical Simulation, 2006
- The Boardgamegeek, Golden Geek Award for Best Wargame 2006
- The Boardgamegeek, Golden Geek Award for Best 2 player game.
- Nominee Games Magazine Best Historical Simulation 2007
- Nominee Origins Awards Historical Boardgame of the Year 2005
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page