TLE -EASTERN FRONT TANK LEADER
- TITLE: Eastern Front Tank Leader
- PUBLISHER: West End Games (WEG); effectively closed down
- SCOPE: World War II Armored Tactics Eastern Front
- WEST END GAMES VERBAGE:
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: Your in command of an tank battalion,
ordered to secure the critical junction at Palote. An enemy heavy tank regiment
has been sighted racing towards the town. Seconds are critical! do you make
a dash up the road from Alechino and hit the enemy's flank, or head for the
town to reliever the tattered and demoralized infantry?
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1986.
- Design: John Hill with Guy Hail
- Development: Guy Hail and Leonard Quam
- Rules: Jeffery Briggs
- Graphics: Kevin Wilkins, Stephen Crane, and Diane Malz
- Design/Development Assistance: Eric Goldberg
- Technical Assistance: Tom Hastings
- Testing and Comments:: Kevin Boyland, Jim Burnett,
Bomb DePino, John Freiler, Steve Feusche, Hassan Howard, Mark Kalina,
Doug Kaufman, Dana Lombardy, Neil Schlaffer, Jon Southard, Tom Vickery,
and Ron Whaley
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 4
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): Standard scenarios (5) 1-2
hours; Advanced game scenarios (10) 1.5 - 3 hours.
- MAP SCALE: 150 meters per hex
- UNIT SCALE: Platoons and companies
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 5 minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: 10; varies per scenario.
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 320 5/8" die cut playing pieces, 72
Soviet and German cards, two player aid cardstock sheets, one 22 x34"
unmounted map; three six sided dice; one counter tray with lon-on lid; 32
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: No known history as an Avaloncon/WBC
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: John Hill's philosophy exhibited
in Squad Leader is also on display in this series. Command, control, and communications
(C3) is the pivotal factor in the design. Similar in scale to Panzerblitz,
command card are utilized to determine tactical initiative- who moves first
and how quickly a formation responds to changing situations. Similar to Squad
leader, factors such as unit rating, morale, sighing/hits are factors in combat.
Other elements are utilized such as command range, vehicle radios and other
factors have impact on play. The total system successfully simulates how the
Germans, often with inferior numbers and quality, were able to consistently
out-fight the Russians in battle after battle. The single map is modified
by scenario by visibility, season, contour, dominant terrain, and urbanization.
However this is hard for the human to visualize. Mapboard customization capability
in the Squad Leader vassal module, should prove beneficial, in addition to
the ability to add additional mapboards.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: Plan is to improve the existing
vassal modules using capabilities similar to the Squad Leader modules.
- A VASSAL module was found in
the listing [Eastern Front Tank Leader]; but none specific to the sequels
[Western Front and Desert Steel].
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page