TERRIBLE SWIFT SWORD TSR ERRATA
From: Skip Franklin <email@example.com>
Subject: Terrible Swift Sword (TSR) Errata
TERRIBLE SWIFT SWORD (2nd Edition)
Errata published in S&T #112
by George D. Leutsch and Craig Broslus
Additional errata in braces  from TSR errata included with game.
A. COUNTER CORRECTIONS.
- The Fronts of the artillery crew markers should not have infantry silhouettes.
Treat these as full-strength artillery crews for all purposes.
- Skirmisher counters are not distinguished by any special marking. Players
should mark one side of each skirmisher unit to identify it for skirmish formation.
An easy way to do so is marking three dots (…) at the top of the counter.
- Several unit counters were printed with incorrect information; additionally,
several Union batteries have been updated to new information uncovered since
publication of the game. The following lists the counter as printed then the
- 24 Ga (Gordon’s Bde) should read 26 GA on front of counter
- 35 Va Bn (II Corps) should have a morale of 4 on its mounted side
- 80 NY (1/3/I) should be an "A" weapon type
- Ward (2/1/II) should be 2/1/III
- 13 Pa Res (1/3/V) should be a "B" weapon type
- D 5 US (V arty) should have a strength of six (PA 6) Supply (2/V)
should have a morale of three
- Shaler (1/2/VI) should be 1/3/VI) D 2 US (VI arty) should have
a strength of six (N 6)
- 154 NY (1/2/XI) should be an "R" weapon type
- Supply (XII) should have an R2 provost guard [Back is incorrectly
marked as well]
- 1 NH (3 Vol) should have a strength of four (TB 4)
- 6 Me (4 Vol) should have a strength of four (N 4)
- E 4 US (1/Cav arty) should have a strength of four (TB 4)
- E, G 1 US (2/Cav arty) should be a TB weapons type (TB 4)
- 3 Pa arty (1/2/Cav) should have a morale of 5
- 1 Pa (1/2/Cav) is not used in the game
- 4 Pa (3/2/Cav) is not used in the game
B. MAP CORRECTIONS.
The following table identifies map corrections using the format - Map, hex
- MAP A
- MAP B
- 5308 Trail extends into hex from hex B5408
- 3725 Level 3 [TSR errata shows as level 2, take a pick]
- 3825 Level 3 [TSR errata shows as level 2, take a pick]
- 3926 Level 3 [TSR errata shows as level 2, take a pick]
- 2622 Historical site, not town
- 2816 Historical site, not town (maybe the author meant 2817)
- MAP C 0922
- 1021 Level 2
- 1022 Level 2
- 1122 Level 2
- 1123 Level 2
- 1222 Level 2
- 1223 Level 2
- 1323 Level 2
- 1324 Level 2
- 1423 Level 2
- 1424 Level 2
- 1524 Level 2
- 1525 Level 2
- 1624 [level 2]
Any hexside shared by a Level 2 hex and a Level 4 hex is a steep crest hexside.
The Turn Record Chart on Map C is missing the game turn 1620. The night turns
boxes 0320, 0340, 0420, and 0440 should be eliminated. These boxes were printed
in error; all night turns are hourly.
C. BCE ROSTER SHEETS
Compiling roster sheets is nothing more than nose counting and should be quite
simple, which it was. However, nothing could be more boring and thankless in
game design, and after a while, come the inevitable mistakes. The brigade leader
is listed for each Army with the change required to correct the roster.
- CSA Leader Roster Changes
- Corse 6/11 is correct, change boxes
- M. Ransom 15.29 is correct, change boxes
- Daniel Brigade ratings be C
- Pettigrew 15/26 is incorrect, change to 14/26, change boxes, change
VP to 14+14
- USA Leader Roster Changes
- Stannard 6/19 is correct, change boxes
- Brewster 7/18 is correct, change boxes
- Wheaton Brigade rating should be C
- Candy 8/18 is correct, change boxes
- McIntosh 5/13 is incorrect, change to 5/9, change boxes, change VP to
- I. Gregg 5/12 is incorrect, change to 5/9, change boxes, change VP to
- (8.13) (clarification) For example, if the stacking limit is three units
plus two batteries for 8 SP’s, the hex can contain two 1 SP infantry
units, one wagon, and two batteries. Batteries count against SP’s but
not against the number of units in a hex.
- (8.22) (correction, second sentence) Change two hexes to three hexes.
- (9.25) (additions) Units that carry these weapons types do not receive a
shift left on the Fire CRT when routed.
- (9.47) (new case) No unit may fire less than 1 SP at any target
regardless of its fire strength multiplier. Example: A C1 regiment has
enemy units in each of its three frontal hexes. It may fire into only
one of those hexes; it can not fire a one-third SP into each hex to
obtain three 1-3 attacks.
- (9.51) (addition) This column shift benefit to the target unit does not
apply to mounted cavalry.
- (9.85) (clarification) The final fire strength of pinned unit firing
withdrawal or retreat is also halved.
- (9.85) (addition) An unpinned unit may move through a hex containing a
pinned unit without a penalty; however, if the moving unit ends its
movement stacked with a pinned unit both units are considered pinned.
- (11.25) (clarification) Units which are pinned, routed, or engaged may
not resupply other units or be resupplied.
- (13.42) (addition) In the case of a P/R combat result if two units
occupy the same hex and the top unit routs, the second unit must check
morale. If it passes, it is pinned; if it fails, it is routed. With a
# combat result and two units occupy the hex and the first unit is
routed or eliminated, the second unit must check morale. If it passes,
it must then check to see if it is pinned.
- (14.3) (addition) Unlimbered artillery remains in place when a friendly
infantry or cavalry unit retreats through its hex. The crew checks
morale and if the check is failed, the crew routs and the guns are
abandoned. A limbered gun is displaced on hex like infantry and
performs a morale check.
- (15.17) (clarification) The act of recrewing an abandoned gun is a
function of moving to the guns and as such not a formation change
causing withdrawal fire. However, should the moving crew leave an enemy
zone of control to get to its guns, its movement cause withdrawal fire..
- (15.18) (addition) If a unit begins its melee phase adjacent to an enemy
abandoned gun it may automatically move into and occupy the hex
containing the abandoned guns.
- (16.34) (addition) If the mounted cavalry unit being fired upon is 7
SP’s or more (i.e. it is a dense target) the maximum number of column
shifts allowed on the CRT is three instead of two.
- (18.12) (addition) BCE’d units may advance after fire combat (see
only if they can do so without coming adjacent to a formed enemy combat
- (20.4) (new case) RESTRICTIONS ON BREASTWORK BUILDING. No unit may
build more than one breastwork each night. (This rule is designed to
further restrict the number of breastworks that can be built throughout
- (21.1) (change, last sentence) All night turns are hourly in duration.
(The Turn Record Chart is incorrect).
- (22.54) (change) The last sentence should read, "It cost three game
turns to move between any adjacent staging areas with the exception of 3
to 5 and 4 to 5, which cost two game turns; and 2 to 3 and 10 to 11,
which cost six game turns."
- [(23.12) (addition) Use In Column markers to mark cavalry skirmish units
that are not in skirmish formation.]
E. SCENARIO ERRATA
- (34.13) McPerson’s Ridge Initial Deployment 5 a1 Bn should start in
- (34.23) Little Round Top Initial Deployment (also used for 34.46 Whole Line
Ablaze) 1+2 Co (Eshlman arty) should start in C0544 4 NY (III arty) should
start in C1427 Daniel (Rodes) should start in B2731 1 US SS and 2 US SS (indp)
should start within one hex of Sickles (III) Stuart (Cav) should start in
B2632 Ga Reg (Nelson arty) should start in B2025 Williams (Johnson) should
start in B3303 B, 1 Pa (I arty) should start in the scenario with two guns
- (34.47) High Water mark Initial Deployment Orange (Rodes arty) should start
in B2532 Jeff Davis (Rodes arty) should start in B2532 Imboden’s Bde
(Cav) should be deleted from the initial setup. It is an optional reinforcement.
Fisher (3/3/V) should start in C1923 3 Mass (V arty) should start in C2118
13 NY (XI arty) should start in B3820 I, 1NY (XI arty) should start in B4518
- (34.47E) (change) The last sentence should read … "Union conditional
reinforcement due at 1400 at Staging Area 9 or 10 only and reinforcements
due at 1600 do not appear."
- (35.14) Confederate Arrive Schedule The arrival times of the Confederate
Second and Third Corps supply trains are reversed. Imboden’s brigade
is an optional unit, not an optional withdrawal.
- (35.21C) (change) The artillery unit listed should read E,G 1 US (2 Cav)
not F, G 1 US(2 Cav)
- (35.24) (addition) The 3 Pa artillery (1/2/Cav) enters the game map on July
2 at 2000 via Staging Area 10.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page