- TITLE: Yalu
- PUBLISHER: Conflict Games (CON)/2nd edition by Compass
- SCOPE: The Chinese Counteroffensive in Korea: November,
- CONFLICT GAMES CATALOG VERBAGE: No catalog as reference.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: The Chinese Counteroffensive in Korea:
November, 1950-May, 1951.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1977. Two published editions.
YAL Errata contained within the game; 2010 Second
- Game Designer: John Hill
- Game Development: John Harshman
- Game Art Direction: Paul Richard Banner
- Playtesting : Frank Chadwick, Doug Poe, Winston Hamilton,
John Schomburg, Marc Miller
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10):
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE: 10 miles per hex.
- UNIT SCALE: Divisions, brigades, regiments, and battalions;
Divisions breakdown into brigades.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: One week
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: 26
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: Two sheets of 5/8" unit counters;
19" x 24" mounted mapboard; 8 page rulebook, four 8x11" hard
stock playing aid cards, two dice.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Not a current tournament title.
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest using the VASSAL Yal module.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: I converted several articles
on this game title to softcopy. Based on the positive reviews and that it
is a design by John Hill (designer of Squad Leader), I have been actively
seeking a play copy dispite lack of discretionary funds. Thanks to Chris Dryer
for identifying a play copy and funding the purchase. I have no direct playing
experience and have no other Korean War titles. I will solicit comments from
- A Java application VASSAL module
(1st Edition) is partialy completed by the WGA. Project is on hold pending
communication with Compass Games.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page