TPS-TURNING POINT STALINGRAD
- TITLE: Turning Point Stalingrad
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (WWII) Battle for the city of Stalingrad.
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: Siege of the actual city itself,
pitting the heroic German 6th Army against the valiant Russian 62nd Army.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: TURNING POINT STALINGRAD uses an award
winning semi-simultaneous movement style to re-create the dazzling initial
breakthrough which almost won the city in a whirlwind opening days of the
battle, only to be turned back by valiant resistance from the last few defenders.
The highly detailed map stretches from the southern outskirts of Kuporosnoye
to Spartakovka and Rynok to the north. In between lie the bitterest battle
sites of our time...the Grain Elevator, Central Railway Station, Mamayev Kurgan,
the Tennis Racket, Red Barricades and Dzerhezinsky Tractor Factory...a veritable
pantheon of shrines of valor and sacrifice of those who fought and died there.
Those gallant actions can now be relived.. only this time YOU are in command.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1989. Only one published edition.
Designers TPS Errata (3rd edition changes) was
found on Web Grognards.
- Design & Development: Donald Greenwood
- Cover Art: George Parrish
- Game Graphics: Charles Kibler
- Playtesting Coordinators: Rex Martin, Jim Brown, James
Silsby Jr., Jim Lauffenburger, MAJ John Berry, Michael Sigler, Ray Freeman,
David Chapel, CPT Eric Walters, Neal Schlaffer, Jim Burnett, James Bossart,
Randy Heller, Craig Posey, William Rutherford, Mark Hunter, Jared Roach,
Bill Malkus, John Lewis.
- Prep Department Coordinators: Lou Velenovsky
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Special Thanks to the National Archives Trust Fund
(Washington D. C) for arial photographs, and the Bundesarchiv (West Germany)
for historical maps and other research materials.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 6
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): Two to 30 hours.
- MAP SCALE: 1 inch represents 500 meters
- UNIT SCALE: Battalion
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Daily turns broken into arrival day
or night impulses.
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 394 unit counters; 16" x 44"
mounted mapboard; rules, four dice, two setup cards.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Not a current tournament title.
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest once a VASSAL VTPS module
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: Part series of games using the
Area movement system (Storm over Arnhem, Raid on St. Nazaire, and Breakout
Normandy). By its topic, the Russians are on the defensive in the beginning
and if survive, go on the offensive. As such may followers of this system
found Breakout Normandy to give both sides offensive options at the start
of game. The unknown variable turn lengths provide a challenges. As one who
prefers eastern front games, this is a good one that is also a departure from
the Theatre operational scale of Russian Front and The Russian Campaign.
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page